Tuesday, March 2, 2021

My Review for The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye



⭐⭐⭐⭐. This review is for The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye which I reviewed in December 2020 for Online Book Club.  I simply loved the story, and I can honestly say it has been one of the most compelling and spellbinding novels I have read in 2020.  I believe that this book has been professionally edited, as I did not find any grammatical errors or spelling mistakes.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden is the first book in a trilogy by Londyn Skye, and is an absolutely incredible novel. Lily is a nine-year-old girl who is sold into slavery, leaving her mother behind, not knowing whether she remains alive or dead. The beginning of the story focusses on Lily’s fourteen years with her new master, but we soon jump ahead as she is provided with an escape and a way out of the only life she has ever really known, as she becomes a musical prodigy. A number of characters are influential in the change of her way of life, but an elderly gentleman, by the name of William Werthington, is paramount to how her life progresses from the moment of her escape.

Readers are transported back to the mid-nineteenth century where slaves were a part of normal life in the Deep South, and as well as being entertaining, I also found the novel educational, and this encouraged me to research more about those times. In fact, this is what I found the most enjoyable about the book, the inspiration it gave me to read more into American History.

The ending left me aghast and upset, which is what I disliked the most about the book. However as there are two more in the series, I am encouraged to read on and see how the story ends.

I was captivated throughout Skye’s telling of The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden. She has an amazing talent for descriptive writing, and although I have read reviews stating that other readers have been bored by some of her writings, I found her a compelling author and was drawn into the story more and more as she wrote.

I think the book would appeal to a wide range of audiences, however due to sexual, racial, and violent content, as well as a high content of profanity, I would advise caution if you are of a sensitive nature.

I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone who loves historical fiction, and to those who would appreciate a clearer understanding of the difference in people’s lives in the Deep South in the nineteenth century.

0 comments:

Post a Comment