Tuesday, March 2, 2021

My Review for Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland

Shifting Sands, Barry Litherland, Cover
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐. This review is for Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland, which I reviewed in November 2020 for Online Book Club. I was thoroughly absorbed with the story, which kept me entertained throughout. I believe that this book has been professionally edited as I did not find any grammatical errors or spelling mistakes.

There is a mystery surrounding Westleigh Lodge, and local journalist, Phil Tyler, and his editor, Liz, are determined to find out what is going on behind the fortress-like walls. Between himself and Liz, and his madcap array of friends and colleagues they set out to unravel the mystery of the strange clinic which seems to have taken up residence in Westleigh Lodge.

This book was impossible to put down. The story is gripping and extremely well-written, with humour, action, and intrigue throughout. Written in the first person, the author involves us with each journey he embarks on, taking us along as he fights thugs, investigates weird goings-on, and tiptoes around love.

Litherland has a great descriptive talent. As the reader, you can easily visualise every character, every scene, every meal, and every scenario. You will cringe as Mr Tyler attempts to woo the girl, and shrink back at every fight - you will live within the novel.

Every character has their own story to tell and their own unique personality. Litherland is excellent at describing to the reader how each character fits into the novel, and how everything and everyone links together as the story progresses. The plot kept me guessing until the end, despite my continuing thoughts as to the outcome, there were twists and turns, surprises and revelations and I loved the ending.

The thing that I enjoyed most about this book was that I was hooked from beginning to end. I believe that only an exceptional author has the ability to achieve this and, Litherland falls into this category.

I am aware that this is a huge statement, but I didn’t find anything I disliked about this book. I will definitely be adding his other books to my ‘to be read’ pile.

I think the books would appeal to a wide range of audiences, however, due to the mature language I would not recommend this to younger audiences.

I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone who loves a crime/thriller/mystery novel, with a fascinating and humorous story from start to finish.


1 comment:

  1. This review really captured the essence of the book, I can’t wait to read it

    ReplyDelete