Sunday, October 10, 2021

My Review for Secrets of Santorini by Patricia Wilson, narrated by Aoife McMahon and Caroline Lennon


Secrets of Santorini Cover

⭐⭐⭐⭐ Secrets of Santorini was my Audiobook of choice as I started to clear my garden and get it ready for winter. What better way to escape from the coming autumnal days than to disappear into the Greek islands for a while!

Irini McGuire grew up in a convent school in Dublin, whilst her parents continued with their archaeological career on the Greek island of Santorini. After Irini’s mother, Bridget, suffers an accident, Irini travels to the Greek island to visit her. Once there, it becomes apparent that everything is not as it seems, and in particular, why Irini was sent away at a very early age. 

Secrets of Santorini is told from the points of view of both Irini and Bridget, alternating between chapters. I enjoy reading this style of writing and experiencing the story from different angles, and Patricia Wilson excels at it.

I found Secrets of Santorini slow to begin with, particularly when we were taken back in time through Bridget’s dreams. As the book progressed though, I was drawn further into the story and wished I had paid more attention to some of Bridget’s dreams, which I initially found boring, but that was because I didn’t understand what relevance they had! I should have known better, for Patricia Wilson never writes about topics that aren’t relevant to the book!

As with all her other books, Patricia Wilson has put an enormous amount of research into Secrets of Santorini and as the story progressed, I travelled with Irini as she journeyed between Dublin, Crete, and Santorini, learning more about Greek history and the classics.

Recommended for anyone who enjoys a book set on a beautiful island with an archeological history but with a contemporary feel.




2 comments:

  1. Thank you. I'm absolutely thrilled that you enjoyed SECRETS of SANTORINI, and I'm very grateful for your review. Best wishes, Patricia Wilson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment, I always love hearing from authors.

      Delete