My Review for Mile High by Liz Tomforde, read by Winston James and Mari
“There’s only so much oxygen on an airplane. I don’t want his ego to suffocate the rest of us. You know, safety and all that s**t.”
#thatbonkersbookclub, for some reason, decided to read three books in July and Mile High was the first one I read. Now, I wouldn't consider myself a sports romance fanatic. I can take them or leave them, to be honest, and so I went into this one with no expectations or particular interest. It just goes to show that book clubs can open your eyes to things you wouldn't normally read! 📚
I enjoyed Mile High and listened to this rather than read it, which probably made it even more fun. The dual narration of the two main characters, Zanders and Stevie, was brilliantly portrayed and even though Zanders is initially an arrogant d**k, there's a reason for that. I guarantee that if you read the book, you'll come to love him, as of course, Stevie does. ❤️
While writing this review, I discovered that the author, Liz Tomforde, used to be a flight attendant for an NHL hockey team — I didn't even know this was a thing! 🤯 I guess I just imagined all the players getting on a generic plane with all the other passengers! But yeah, in the UK, football (soccer) teams have their own coach to drive around the country, so I guess it makes sense to have a plane when you need to travel across the other side of the US. ✈️
Anyway, back to my thoughts. I loved Stevie from the beginning. She's sassy, yet lacks self-confidence, while still not taking any s**t from Zanders and the rest of the players, some of whom, quite honestly, need a good slap! 😂
Zanders has his issues, which become apparent as the story progresses, and it was so lovely to see how he develops with Stevie by his side. ❤️
Mile High is a lot more about the characters than the hockey, which is good because I understand zilch about the game — the two games I've been to had me flummoxed throughout! 🏒😂 There is a whole series devoted to this team, with different players taking the protagonist's role in each one. When my TBR allows, I will definitely be reading or listening to more of Liz's books. 📚💕
About the Book
Zanders: Chicago hockey isn't complete without me—everyone's favorite player to hate. I know my role, and I play it well. In fact, I thoroughly enjoy spending the majority of my game time in the penalty box before leaving the arena with a new girl on my arm each night.
What I don't like is the new flight attendant on our team's private plane. She works for me, not the other way around. But I'll be sure to remind her of that, and I can guarantee, by the end of the season, she'll be begging to quit her job.
But every road trip blurs the lines, and I can't quite figure out if I keep pushing that flight attendant call button in order to push her buttons or if it's more than that.
Stevie: I've been a flight attendant for years. I thought I'd see it all, but when my new job lands me onboard working for the most egotistical and self-righteous diva in the NHL, I start to second guess everything. Including the promise I made to myself of never hooking up with an athlete again . . . no matter how annoyingly tempting he may be.
Zanders is unfiltered, unapologetic, and too attractive for his own good. He loves his image, but I hate everything about it.
Everything but him.
About Liz - from Liz
Hi there, I'm Liz! I write Contemporary Romance and my books showcase healthy relationships with leading men you can’t help but fall in love with. Expect to find a mix of witty banter, found family moments, and plenty of steam!
Prior to becoming a full-time author, I was a flight attendant for an NHL team, combining my passions for both travel and hockey. Back in 2020, when the hockey season was postponed due to the global pandemic, I used my newfound free time to write my first novel.
When I’m not traveling or writing, you can find me listening to an audiobook while on a walk with my Golden Retriever, Luke.


Comments
Post a Comment