Monday, March 25, 2024

My Review for The Serpent and the Wings of Night, written by Carissa Broadbent and read by Amanda Leigh Cobb


'Human or vampire, the rules of survival are the same: never trust, never yield, and always – always – guard your heart'.

This gave me Fourth Wing/Iron Flame vibes, and I adored it right from the beginning. This isn’t something I’d have chosen myself, but it was a book club pick of the month for February, and I’m so glad Carissa Broadbent is now at the top of my ‘favourite authors’ list.

As the weather slowly starts to improve in the UK and I spend more time outside, I find myself listening to more and more audiobooks. I love that I can keep up with my TBR as well as lose myself in someone else’s life for a few hours while I’m outside.

Narrated by Amanda Leigh Cobb and full of energy, passion and excitement, this book had all the weirdness of Hunger Games, the fantasy of Harry Potter, plus so much more. Oraya was awesome, feisty and wasn’t taking any shit from anyone, and quite frankly Raihn was an ass and I couldn’t work out what was in it for him? Why he befriended Oraya and why he was going out of his way to help and protect her? There is so much more of this story to come and I can’t wait to buddy-read part two with some amazing people.

Thank you to #acrossthepondbookclub for choosing The Serpent and the Wings of Night by Carissa Broadbent as February’s read of the month.

About the Book

The adopted human daughter of the Nightborn vampire king, Oraya carved her place in a world designed to kill her. Her only chance to become something more than prey is entering the Kejari: a legendary tournament held by the goddess of death herself.

But winning won’t be easy amongst the most vicious warriors from all three vampire houses. To survive, Oraya is forced to make an alliance with a mysterious rival.

Everything about Raihn is dangerous. He is a ruthless vampire, an efficient killer, an enemy to her father’s crown… and her greatest competition. Yet, what terrifies Oraya most of all is that she finds herself oddly drawn to him.

But there’s no room for compassion in the Kejari. War for the House of Night brews, shattering everything that Oraya thought she knew about her home. And Raihn may understand her more than anyone – but their blossoming attraction could be her downfall, in a kingdom where nothing is more deadly than love.


About Carissa

Carissa has been freaking out teachers and parents with mercilessly grim tales since she was roughly nine years old. Since then, her stories have gotten (slightly) less depressing and (hopefully a lot?) more readable. Today, she writes fantasy novels with a heaping dose of badass ladies and a big pinch of romance. Her books include the Crowns of Nyaxia series, the War of Lost Hearts series, and hopefully many more to come!

She lives with her husband, one very well-behaved rabbit, one very poorly-behaved rabbit, and one perpetually sceptical cat in the extremely underrated state of Rhode Island. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment