Saturday, September 2, 2023

My Review for The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald


Classic Lit Book Club’s August read was The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald and I was so excited to read this one. I chose the Wordsworth Edition just because the cover was so pretty.

I had already seen the movie, the one with Leonardo DiCaprio, but I couldn’t remember much about it apart from the parties! I gained so much more from reading the book. Gatsby very much wanted to be the life and soul of the party and thought he could buy people’s love and affection. It was sad that most of the people (in fact probably all of them apart from Nick) couldn’t have cared less about Gatsby. They turned up to his parties, had a good time at his expense, and went home again.  

I really disliked Daisy, whether it was intentional or not, she used people. In my opinion, she was selfish and didn’t think about how her actions would affect those around her.

The ending is tragic and not something I remembered from the movie. I kept going back over the same page time and again, asking myself whether I’d really just read that.

I am definitely going to re-read this when I get a gap in my schedule. I think it is the sort of book where you would discover something different the next time around. 

This is one of my favourite quotes from Nick and sums up the book nicely I think. 

“I was within and without, simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life.”

Thank you to #classiclitbookclub for choosing The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald as August's book to read. I'm looking forward to Frankenstein in September.




0 comments:

Post a Comment