Saturday, June 24, 2023

My Review for The Cassandra Complex by Holly Smale


'My theory is that my brain is like a lazy IT department, and every time there's a problem with the electrics it just panics and pulls the plug out at the wall. Switch her off, switch her back on again: see if that helps'.

I loved, loved, loved this! A contender for my favourite book of 2023. There were definitely hints of Sally Diamond and Eleanor Oliphant in this book, and perhaps that is why I enjoyed it so much.

Who on earth can lose their boyfriend, their job and their home in the same morning? Cassandra can! Bad luck or self-inflicted? Maybe a bit of both, but when Cassandra realises she can manipulate time to change the past, she sets out to do just that, not necessarily with the outcome she wants, so she tries again and again!

Such an amazing character. Cassandra stayed with me for many days after I’d finished the book. She resonated with me a lot, her quirky ways, her routines, just many things about her and I so want to be her best friend - even if she wouldn’t want to be mine! 

I’m glad Holly wrote a beautiful story about neurodivergence.

Thank you to NetGalley and Random House UK for the opportunity to read and review The Cassandra Complex by Holly Smale.


0 comments:

Post a Comment