Sunday, April 16, 2023

My Review for To Dream of Shadows by Steve N Lee

To Dream of Shadows cover

Good luck reading this without sobbing your heart out! I love historical WWII fiction and this is nothing like anything I have ever read before. From start to finish, it is simply amazing. Loosely based on true events, it is everything I could ever hope for in a book. It is heart-warming, heart-wrenching, emotional, horrific, and an absolute love story.

There were many times throughout the book when I just couldn’t believe what I was reading. I was angry at Rudi (Heinz), a German SS officer. I was scared for Inge, the eighteen-year-old Jewish woman who often should probably have kept quiet but who was forever sticking up for her camp mates. I haven’t read a book in a while that kept me hooked from page one, right the way through to the end. I had no idea how it was going to end, and what was going to happen to our mismatched couple. I wanted to turn the pages fast, so I found out what was going to happen and I wanted to turn them slowly because I didn’t want this wonderful story to end.

If WWII fiction is your thing, then I cannot recommend To Dream of Shadows enough. I promise you will not be disappointed. If you haven’t read anything like this before and you want to dip your toe in to the historical fiction water, then give this a try. 

Thank you so much to Steve N Lee for providing me with the opportunity to read and review a copy of To Dream of Shadows. It will definitely be included in my most favourite books on 2023.


Book Description

She will save hundreds of lives. But can she save her own?

Inspired by a previously untold true story.

1943. 18-year-old Czech, Inge is torn from her family and imprisoned in some godforsaken hellhole. There, she suffers month after month of torturous labor while praying for liberation by the Allies. But rescue never comes. And her dream of surviving the war dies.

Heinz, an SS Sergeant, has been force-fed the Reich's poison since childhood, but nowadays, he covertly helps prisoners.

So when a random act of kindness thrusts Inge and Heinz together, they can't resist being drawn to one another. Unable to deny their feelings, they dare to dream of a future, a life — together.

But their relationship does not go unnoticed. For Inge and Heinz, falling in love becomes a death sentence. And not just for them, but for all those they care about.

Unless…

Inge makes an unthinkable sacrifice.

Set during history’s darkest hour, “To Dream Of Shadows” is an epic tale of compassion, sacrifice, and the strength of the human spirit.

Discover one of the most heartwarming, heartbreaking, and heroic tales of the Holocaust. Discover “To Dream Of Shadows”.


Author Bio


Apart from animals and writing, Steve’s passion is travel. He’s visited 60 countries and enjoyed some amazing experiences, including cage-diving with great white sharks, sparring with a monk at a Shaolin temple, and watching a turtle lay eggs on a moonlit beach. He’s explored Machu Picchu, Pompeii, and the Great Wall of China, yet for all that, he’s a man of simple tastes — give him an egg sandwich and the TV remote control, and he’ll be happy for hours!

He lives in the North of England with his partner, Ania, and two black cats who arrived in the garden one day and liked it so much, they stayed. Graciously, the cats allow Steve and Ania to stay in 'their' house.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing my book with your readers, Sam. I'm so pleased you enjoyed it. I particularly like that it isn't like anything you've read in this genre before - I did strive to achieve that, so it's gratifying to discover some readers get that.

    ReplyDelete