Monday, March 13, 2023

My Review for Strange Sally Diamond by Liz Nugent

Sally Diamond Cover

“Sally Diamond cannot understand why what she did was so strange. She was only doing what her father told her to do, to put him out with the rubbish when he died”.

I was literally chairbound. From start to finish, I couldn’t put this book down. Sally Diamond was definitely strange with severe mental health problems, but who wouldn’t be with the start in life that she had? For me, she was a loveable character, and I just wanted to put my arm around her and look after her (not that she would have allowed that)! 

Set across different timelines and two countries, Ireland and New Zealand, Liz Nugent handles Sally’s mental health with sensitivity and although there is a comedic side to Sally, we see her issues handled with compassion.

Strange Sally Diamond span me through a spiral of emotions. I was horrified and relieved. I was joyous, and oh so sad, but ultimately, Sally reminded me a little of Eleanor Oliphant, and both characters will stay with me for a long time. Definitely an early contender for my book of 2023.

Strange Sally Diamond by Liz Nugent was so, so good, but with so, so many triggers, definitely check these out before you decide whether it’s the book for you. It includes mental and sexual abuse, paedophilia and emotional control.

Thank you to Penguin General UK for the opportunity to read and review an ARC of Strange Sally Diamond by Liz Nugent.


0 comments:

Post a Comment