Wednesday, February 1, 2023

My Review for Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

I’ve just completed my first ever buddy-read with Rebecca, by Daphne Du Maurier. The fact that it was Rebecca made me join in, and I think I’m pleased I did. Some of the questions we had definitely made me look at the story differently.  These are two covers for Rebecca, the blue one is the first copy I had as a teenager and the white one is the one I am hoping for as a 50th birthday gift.

“Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again...”

Ancient, beautiful Manderley, between the rose garden and the sea, is the county’s showpiece. Rebecca made it so - even a year after her death, Rebecca’s influence still rules there. How can Maxim de Winter’s shy new bride ever fill her place or escape her vital shadow?

A shadow that grows longer and darker as the brief summer fades, until, in a moment of climatic revelations, it threatens to eclipse Manderley and its inhabitants completely...

This is the synopsis of Rebecca, but it is so much more than this. A classic, a romance, a thriller, and historical fiction...the list goes on.

Rebecca is my favourite book of all time. Each time I read it, I discover something new, something I hadn’t read before and something that just makes me love it more. Even now I think that one day I might discover the name of our protagonist and that somehow, in the last 35 years, I’ve simply missed it and the author does tell us after all!




0 comments:

Post a Comment