Tuesday, January 31, 2023

My Review for The Girl in the Photo by Catherine Hokin

The Girl in the Photo Cover
I absolutely love the cover of this book! I’m not particularly maternal, but it makes me want to scoop the child up in my arms and protect her forever. The Girl in the Photo is my first Catherine Hokin novel and although it’s the third in a series, it absolutely doesn’t matter if you haven’t read any of the others. However, I guarantee that once you’ve read one, you’ll want to read more.

It’s 1950, and five years after the end of the Second World War. Hanni and Freddy are happily married until something happens at Hanni’s first photographic exhibition that will change both of their lives and something that will force the truth to come out. 

There are many characters in The Girl in the Photo that you will despise and only a few you will grow fond of. Catherine Hokin makes this decision easy for you as she throws herself into her characters and brings them to life on the page. I travelled along with Hanni and Freddy and it was so easy to feel what they were feeling. I wanted to be with them every step of the way to help them in their quest. 

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the opportunity to read and review an ARC of The Girl in the Photo by Catherine Hokin.



Book Description

1944. ‘I have to go away, my darling. Please, be brave, stay alive, for me.’ Her mother’s voice breaks. The little girl tries to stop the forbidden tears from falling, as the train takes her mother, and she is left alone in the camp…

Berlin, six years later. When Hanni Winter shows her new husband the heartbreaking photos she captured during the war, his reaction is unexpected. His face white, Freddy can’t take his eyes off the photo of a young girl around four years old. ‘That’s Renny,’ he whispers, ‘my sister, she was taken by the Nazis…’

Hanni remembers her perfectly – the child with the wide eyes and bitten lips, who wouldn’t let herself cry despite the chaos and cruelty all around them in the camp. Her heart had broken for the little girl as she took her picture, desperate to reveal the truth about the Nazis to the world. If that child is Renny, then they must try to find her. They must return to hell on earth.

But when Hanni arrives at the black and white arch of the camp, she comes face to face with a man she fears more than any other. Can she find the strength to fight again, or will every hope for the future be lost forever?

A heart-wrenching novel about love and courage in the face of terrible odds. Fans of The Alice Network, The Nightingale and The Tattooist of Auschwitz will need a box of tissues handy.

Author Bio

I seem to have followed a rather meandering career, including marketing and teaching and politics (don't try and join the dots), to get where I have always wanted to be, which is writing historical fiction. I am a story lover as well as a story writer and nothing fascinates me more than a strong female protagonist and a quest. Hopefully those are what you will encounter when you pick up my books.

I am from the North of England but now live very happily in Glasgow with my American husband. Both my children have left home (one to London and one to Berlin) which may explain why I am finally writing. If I'm not at my desk you'll most probably find me in the cinema, or just follow the sound of very loud music.












0 comments:

Post a Comment