Friday, July 16, 2021

My Review for Dead Man's Grave by Neil Lancaster

Dead Man's Grave Cover

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Thank you to NetGalley and HQ Digital for the opportunity to read and review an ARC of Dead Man’s Grave by Neil Lancaster.

Dead Man’s Grave is the first in the series of the DS Max Craigie books and the first Neil Lancaster novel I have had the pleasure to read, and it was a real page-turner. I sort of wanted to get to the end because I needed to know what happened, and I didn’t, as I didn’t want it to end! 

‘This grave can never be opened’. The inscription on the gravestone is just the first mystery we are faced with, and they just keep on coming. Max Craigie and Janie Calder are detectives with Police Scotland, and they discover the first murder victim but are quickly taken off the case as corruption within the force becomes clear. A feud that began in the 1800s has led to the first murder...but will there be more? Craigie and Calder go rogue, as they begin to investigate the goings-on, unofficially.

As a police procedural novel, Lancaster has nailed it (unsurprisingly though, as he used to be a police detective himself)! Details in the book are incredible, and for me, this will always make a story more appealing. I like to know what is happening and why things turn out the way they do! The craggy and beautiful descriptions of Scotland and its surrounding countryside will draw you in. I was watching the dolphins with Auntie Elspeth :-)

The end of the book sets itself up nicely for the next DS Craigie novel and I will be checking out release dates for the next one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment