Tuesday, June 22, 2021

My Review for The Guilty Wife by Alison James

The Guilty Wife Book Cover
⭐⭐⭐⭐ Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the opportunity to read and review an ARC of The Guilty Wife by Alison James.

Pippa calls off her wedding to Alistair just hours before they were due at the Registry Office, and not wanting to face the music, she goes on their honeymoon to Mauritius, on her own, just to escape. She realises that there is another person on their own and she makes the acquaintance of Jim Cardle. Meanwhile, Tansy and Dan and Nikki and Arne are also on their honeymoon at the same resort, and over the next few days, their lives become mysteriously intertwined.

Alison James takes the reader all around the world, travelling from London to Australia, Mauritius and Thailand, describing all these locations in such great detail that I almost believed I was there. The story briefly covers the Tsunami in Thailand on Boxing Day 2004 and, knowing someone that was caught up in the disaster (but thankfully survived), it was quite harrowing to read those parts.

I found the story fairly slow, to begin with, although not off-putting, as James introduces the characters and explains their back-stories. Most of them were easy to connect with and only one was actually a pain in the proverbial and I just wanted to throw her off a cliff!

There were lots of twists and turns in the plot. Whilst at one point I was convinced I knew what was coming, the story moved in a completely different direction and kept me guessing until the end. The story includes murder, bereavement, grief, greed and just a little bit of love and made for a great read. I would recommend The Guilty Wife to anyone who enjoys a mysterious thriller with no gory bits!

0 comments:

Post a Comment