Saturday, June 26, 2021

My Review for False Witness by Karin Slaughter


False Witness Book Cover
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐  Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins for the opportunity to read and review an ARC of False Witness by Karin Slaughter.

I haven’t read many thrillers before now and this is the first Karin Slaughter novel I have read, however, it won’t be the last. I was hooked from beginning to end!

Leigh Collier works as a defence attorney in Atlanta, Georgia and is called on by her boss to defend Andrew Tenant in court. Accused of violent rape, Andrew isn’t a stranger to Leigh and very quickly she is thrown into the past as she remembers what happened while she was growing up. Leigh has a younger sister, Callie, and the story is told throughout from both their viewpoints. Leigh has made a success of her life, married with a teenage daughter and has a rewarding career. However, Callie takes drugs, is living in sleazy motels, and takes what she can from wherever she can.

I don’t want to give too much away in my description of the book, as for me, that spoils it and a lot of reviews just go into too much detail. Having never read a Karin Slaughter book before, I don’t think I was prepared for the descriptions she provides, from the rape to the drug-taking, to the violence throughout. However, I was blown away by the entire story and because of the minute detail and such vivid descriptive writing, I could visualise every detail of what was happening.

This is the first book I have read that incorporates COVID and although far from the principal topic, it shows how people manage the unusual situation that we find ourselves in and how it affected our daily lives as we learn to live a new normal. The author is adept at showing how strong a family bond can be as Leigh and Callie work together to make some sense of their adult lives.

Because of the topics covered, and how in-depth some subjects are, I would suggest caution to those choosing to read this book. However, if you enjoy a gritty, violent thriller then you won’t be disappointed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment