Saturday, May 1, 2021

My Review for Worldlines by Adam Guest



Worldlines Book Cover
⭐⭐⭐⭐   I reviewed Worldlines by Adam Guest for Online Book Club, and although I thoroughly enjoyed it, I often found myself trying to follow the ‘worlds’ too closely, trying to understand whether there really was the possibility of us occupying several dimensions at once, and this detracted from the flow of the novel.

Worldlines is a sci-fi/fantasy novel about a multiverse rather than a universe, where the protagonist, Gary, gradually realises, with the help of his university professor, that he might be actually existing in more than one world at any given moment. Events are happening around him that he has no memory of and which he cannot explain. With the help of his friends and family, he attempts to discover the scientific background behind what’s going on and whether it could be real.

Wordlines seems to have some sort of science behind them and whether this is based on evidence or just in the author’s imagination is unclear. Regardless of this, it is a well-thought-out and entertaining novel and kept me turning those pages.

It’s difficult to describe the characters due to the nature of the story. For instance, in one worldline, Gary has a girlfriend called Siobhan, however, in another worldline, Siobhan is his best friend, and he has a different girlfriend. I found that the majority of the characters were likeable and added substance to the story. The author’s descriptive writing enables the reader to form a bond with many of them.

The novel focuses a lot on lucid dreaming, and the author does a great job in explaining what this is, whilst still involving the reader in the story. Lucid dreaming enables you to essentially control your dreams, with them playing out the way you want them to. I’m pretty sure that many people who read this novel will have an interest in how they can control their dreams and will research further into this.

I enjoyed trying to work out how worldlines could work whilst I was reading this book and whether living in a multiverse could be a possibility. However, my mind is far from being a scientific one, so I think I just need to accept what I’m reading and enjoy the novel!

For me, the book ended too suddenly. There was no real finality to the last chapter, and I think the author could perhaps have added another chapter to close things down with the main character. In essence, I was left wondering, but perhaps this is the author’s intention and is writing a sequel.

The book would appeal to readers who are interested in sci-fi and fantasy and to those who are curious about the world we occupy. I would recommend Worldlines to Young Adults and upwards. There is no profanity or erotic content and therefore is suitable for all ages.

0 comments:

Post a Comment