Sunday, April 18, 2021

My Review for Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

Eleanor Cover
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐This review is for Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman. Eleanor has been sitting on my 'to be read' shelf for a few months now, bought in the middle of Lockdown 1.0 after it was recommended by a million and one members of the various Facebook book groups that I belong to. I loved Eleanor, she is a bit scary, unhinged, friendless - at least at the beginning - and yes, ever so slightly weird. But she's addictive, I couldn't get enough of her!

Eleanor Oliphant has absolutely no social skills, her daily life follows a strict routine, from what she eats and drinks, and when, to how she conducts herself at work and heaven forbid if she actually needs to talk to anyone, other than her mother, who she speaks to on a Wednesday via telephone. During the course of the novel, Eleanor meets Raymond, a work colleague, and then Sammy, an elderly gentleman who she helps when he falls over in the street.  The story follows the three of them as their lives intertwine.

Gail Honeyman is adept at describing her characters and their lives. Every heartbeat and every tear we share with them. Through their pain and their suffering, we are involved and, equally, as love and happiness shine through, we find ourselves thankful for some positivity in their journey.

Eleanor Oliphant Reading in Bath
Eleanor Oliphant wasn't the book I was expecting. I have to admit I hadn't read the synopsis and I hadn't read any reviews, I just went on recommendations alone. I think I thought it would be a happy beach read - I have no idea why - but it was poignant and heartbreaking in places, Eleanor is just such a sad young lady and I'm sure many people will see parts of her in themselves. Whether the author intended for readers to feel that Eleanor has a form of autism, I'm not sure, but from the way Eleanor behaved and how she conducted herself, I think it was a distinct possibility. She certainly reminded me of people I know who are autistic.

I was pleased with the way that the author tied up all the loose ends in her story, rather than leaving it to the reader's imagination, particularly in regards to Eleanor's mother.   I would like to read more of Gail Honeyman's work, and I will definitely be looking out for more.

I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy something a little bit different. Eleanor is lonely, scared and frankly, mentally unwell. It will make you thankful for the good things in your life and sad if Eleanor's life slightly resembles your own. I loved it, I hope you do too.


0 comments:

Post a Comment