Tuesday, March 16, 2021

My Review for Gerta by Katerina Tuckova, Veronique Firkusny (Translator)

Gerta Cover
⭐⭐⭐⭐ This review is for Gerta by Katerina Tuckova, which I received as an Amazon First Reads. I was a real slow-starter with this one, finding it difficult to get to grips with the characters.  I just didn't bond with them for at least the first quarter of the book, but not one to give up, I ploughed on, and I think I was pleased that I did. Throughout the book, the author described an important part of the history of World War II from the perspective of the Czechs and the Germans. I found very few errors and it was translated well.

Gerta Schnirch is a young girl; who has a Czech mother and a German father, which proves to be somewhat difficult in post-war Moravia.  Despite her parentage, Gerta is seen as wholly German and banished from her home country in 1945. With a baby daughter, she takes to the road with only the clothes she stands up in. The story follows Gerta's life journey as she begins her new life more or less as a slave, trying to stay alive whilst raising her daughter, and making some lifelong friends along the way.
 
As the years' progress, Gerta's life very gradually improves, but she is forever reminded that the place she used to call home would never be the same again. She is faced with the loss of loved ones, time and time again and seemingly leads a very lonely life.

Katerina Tuckova writes hauntingly about a time in Czech history that I certainly never knew existed, and indeed some of the episodes she describes leave you feeling sad about how fellow human beings can treat each other so appallingly.

Throughout the book, things like street names and market places are given their Czech/German names which are then followed up with the English translation. I'm not sure why these were included, and for me, it would have been easier to read if just the translation was included as I tended to just skip over them. This is what I disliked most about the book, however, there may have been a valid reason as to why the author has done this - I just couldn't see it.

What I enjoyed most about the book was learning some of the histories behind the people and countries on the opposite side to the British in the war.  Ultimately everyone was just fighting for their own country, and many people suffered and lost loved ones regardless of which side they were on. 

Readers who enjoy fiction, which includes elements of fact would enjoy this book and it is definitely worth reading if you are interested in World War II.  Due to the disturbing nature of some of the stories though, I wouldn't recommend it to younger readers.









0 comments:

Post a Comment