Tuesday, March 2, 2021

My Review For The Dream Keepers by Linda Keen

The Dream Keepers, Linda Keen, Cover
⭐⭐⭐⭐. My first book review was for The Dream Keepers by Linda Keen which I reviewed in August 2020 for Online Book Club.  I found it quite difficult to grab my interest at the beginning and I wasn’t sure whether I would be able to finish it but how wrong I was!

In essence, the book is about a young brother and sister who, together, learn to find their way in a world that isn’t always accepting or tolerating the people who live in it. The novel follows their lives as they develop from children into young adults and how they deal with various situations and other people along the way. From their families to their friends and from strangers both kind and not so kind, Star and Thatcher deal with whatever life throws at them as they continue on life’s journey, showing the true meaning of being there for each other.

The book covers a multitude of life’s issues, from race and culture to suicide and near-death experiences and although it took me a few chapters to become used to the characters, I was soon embroiled in their lives and this became a real page-turner. I found the sister to be an addictive character and I often discovered myself encouraging her in some of her adventures and wanting to be involved.

There are many dream experiences described in the book and these are what I disliked the most throughout the story. Although I understand the relevance and insight these provided, in my opinion there probably didn’t need to be as many and I wanted to read through these as quickly as possible and to return to the main characters and their stories.

On the flip side, I found that the descriptions of the different characters, cities, and environments the children found themselves in were what I enjoyed the most. They were well written and the author drags the reader into each situation and you can imagine yourself being with the kids along their journeys.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a novel with a spiritual undertone, for those who value the importance and learning that reading about race, culture, and diversity brings and for those that like to be immersed in someone else’s world for a while to bring you relief from your own. I will definitely be looking out for future novels by Linda Keen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment